Salt Lake City, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah
Brittany Evans Spring Portrait Collaboration

Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Ride it Out

Welp, the 10 day re-brand launch and scramble is finished.  Of course, we all know one is never truly finished with a re-brand.  Keep checking back for minute tweaks, alterations, and promotions.

That being said, for now, the coding is finished, spell-check has been completed, and you guys have sent me come amazing feedback on our new "skin".

It's been an interesting couple of weeks.  Gearing up for this launch forced, or rather, gently suggested that I spend a minute looking back over the last 5+ years of building this photography company here in Salt Lake City.  5 years is a long time.  I mean, in the grand scheme of things, of course, it is nothing.  However, here and now, during a time when a facebook status from 3 days ago is considered archived- 5 years is a long time.

I am of the belief that one of  the things which haunts small business owners is the (in)ability to see subtle progress along the way.  For example, I once had a good friend ask me what I want?  Where is there?  When will I feel like I "got there".  I had a really hard time answering that.  I tried to explain that I viewed my "success" on a sliding scale of sorts.  Meaning, when I hit a goal or actualized something I have been working for, my new goal pushes the slider further down the scale to another goal.  I tried to explain, that the "goal" always moves forward, so I couldn't tell him where there is.  It is fluid and elusive.  There is there- you know, out there somewhere, something to keep moving towards.

His response was, "That is tiring."

I laughed.

I think we were both right.  It can be tiring, especially, if we as small business owners can't see the little victories as they happen.  I guess that is the basic premise I wanted to spend a minute thinking about today.  So for those of you out there that are tired, take a minute to look back at where you came from and realize where you have come.  Things may not have moved to the pace you had anticipated; even better, you may have ended up somewhere that you would never have predicted when you stepped foot on your journey.  Good.

For those of you out there that ride horses (one of my other passions), I think keeping life (and business) in perspective is a lot like approaching a big jump.  Keep the momentum (leg-on), balance, head high (sit up), and have a soft eye.  Look up and forward at where you are going, but keep a soft eye to see where you are right now and have a solid awareness of where you came from.  Don't forget to breathe and thank your horse.  Oh, and for my 3 Peas in a Pony- Embrace the flop.

Ride on, kids.

2 comments:

  1. Good analogy, and thank you for the reminder to celebrate the small accomplishments. Reading this, I did a little reflecting of my own, and it was very refreshing to see how much I have changed and grown over the last 5 years as well, even though I still am not "there." yet. Hope you are well, and congrats on the forward movement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Linda! I don't know if we will ever be "there", but I think that may be the beauty of this whole adventure. In the meantime, we will surely have some amazing moments in time and come into contact with people that will be in our hearts the whole journey. Congrats to you as well for the last 5 years, and have fun skipping through the next 5. :)

    ReplyDelete